Friday, October 21, 2011

Looking Expensive Series Part 1- Thrift Store Shopping Like a Pro!

Hi Guys!

So, I asked everyone's opinion on Facebook on what you all would  like my next post to be about and, overwhelmingly, you said you wanted to know how to look expensive but, do it on a dime. I decided that, instead of writing one really long post on the subject, I would break it up into a series. So, here is part one...thrift store shopping. :)

I have a secret confession. Almost everything I wear is from a thrift store or consignment shop. Seriously. I LOVE to find cheap little treasures and, with a bit of imagination, make them into something admirable. I do this with furniture as well, but today maybe we should just talk about what goes on our backs.

There are a few tips and tricks to great thrift store shopping. Honestly, you can have almost your whole wardrobe be from a thrift store and, if you do it right, people will still see you as classy or quirky or bohemian or whatever you want them to see. I go for more of a 1960's class, but that's just my taste. Secretly, I adore getting compliments at a party or gathering on an outfit I know I only paid $5 for. And, there is nothing more "green" than wearing an outfit that is recycled, not to mention a lot of thrift stores are tied to charities, so your money is going to a good cause. See? Everybody wins.

Here are all of my tips and tricks. Enjoy!!!

Tip #1- Find a Thrift Store in a Good Area that is Close to a High End Mall.


Most thrift stores near good malls receive their overstock, so a lot of the merchandise is brand new. Ditto a thrift store near a Target. Also, if you shop a thrift store that is in an affluent area, the money still goes to the same charity, but the stock is WAY nicer. And, with the way wealthy women go through clothes, the garments are practically new. I personally don't care what's "so last season", but I'm sure glad they do.
 I once saw a legit vintage Dior bag for $50. I didn't get it, but still.

The thrift shop I go to is a normal shop, but in a great area, so I have picked up Benetton dresses for $5, Coach bags, Guess, Banana Republic... it's awesome.

Tip #2- Know What You Can Work With

Wasting $5 on a dress that has bleached out armpits is still a waste of $5, because you will never ever wear it. So, my advice is to know what stains you can get out, what can be altered and what can be repaired by you, yourself. If a dress has a broken zipper or missing button, that's ok because those are easily fixed. If, however, a dress or shirt has a blood stain on it...well, those are notoriously difficult to get out. Also...why does the dress have blood on it??? Ew.

So, know what's actually a good deal and what's just a waste of money. Anything can be taken in or taken up, especially if there is darting in the bodice. However, it's difficult to let clothes out. Also, buying something 2 sizes 2 small because you like it and might fit into it one day is  just silly. You might, it's true, but until then it's just cluttering up your life and reminding you how out of shape you feel right now. You don't need that.

Don't buy anything that has frayed edges, holes anywhere but a seam, pit stains, blood stains, makeup stains (except mascara, which is easy to get out), is too small or is moth eaten/ silverfish eaten. Be wary of leather jackets and inspect them for wear and tear.


Tip #3- Go Right When They Open

If you can, try to go to the stores right when they open. In fact, make friends with the staff (you should just be nice anyway, right?) and see if they will tell you when they tend to put new stock on the floor. That way, you have first pick.

Tip #4- Buy Costume Jewelry

You can spice up any simple fitted sheath dress or button down shirt with one cheap trick...vintage jewelery. I have a whole collection of brooches and not one of them is more expensive than $10, but all of them are vintage. Vintage pins and whatnot usually have a lot of artistry to them and a bit of whimsy, so they can add a personal touch to a thrift store find. Go your local vintage mall and have fun. It's great to be complimented on your pin or necklace and be able to say "Why, thanks! It's from the 1950's!"

Tip #5- For the Guys

Guys, thrift store shopping is actually more geared toward men. They have a large variety of jeans, button down shirts, tshirts and shoes. Try to find things in good repair, but shoes, if they are leather, can be repaired for usually very little money. If you find a great pair of dress shoes or boots, know that a quick trip to a shoe repair place can make them look new and disinfect them. Also, if you ARE shopping for tshirts, look for them in an athletic cut, which is less boxy and more tapered at the waist. If you are shopping for jeans, avoid stone wash, tapered legs or anything that hangs on your booty.

 Honestly, for you guys, it's less about what you wear and more about good grooming. Lucky you!


Tip #6- Shoes for Women


I personally don't tend to buy shoes at thrift stores, because women tend to not have any barrier between their feet and the inside of the shoe. However, the same rules apply if you do. If they are leather, they can be repaired. Know what you are willing to spend on that and plan accordingly. Personally, I just try to find really good deals on super cute shoes at regular stores.  I actually have a few pairs of decent shoes that are shiny or bright or completely nude and I wear them with everything.


I think that's it so far. If I think of any more, I fill post them asap. If not, my next post will be about shopping at thrift stores for home furnishings. :)


Warmth and Peace,
The Thrift Store Barbie

1 comment:

  1. Since you disappeared off facebook. Maybe a new year's resolution. I hope to see more blog posts from you here instead :) Happy New Year Rhonda!!!

    ReplyDelete