Wednesday, September 15, 2010

How can you tell a cartoon girl chipmunk from a cartoon boy chipmunk??

The eyelashes! Yup, it's true. Apparently, the only differences between the genders in cartoon land are lashes and lips. And in this blog, we are going to talk lashes, or rather mascara!

Mascra is just one of those highly personal things. Women will be true to their mascaras for longer than they are faithful to their husbands and some will think nothing of plunking down $30 for a tube of Lancome, but then use all coupons at CVS!

I, however,have a slight problem with paying that much for a product I am going to have to throw out 3-6 months later. (Yes, ladies, you DO need to throw it out at 3-6 months. It is a moist environment and a bacteria breeding hotbed after that and you are just asking for trouble. Seriously, do you really want issues with your EYES? You kind of need those.) Not to fear, Beautiful Friends, the Beauty Diva is here to save the day! I have found some AMAZING mascaras for under $10 that rival and, in most cases, are far superior to, gasp, dare I say it... DIORSHOW!!!! LANCOME!!! CHANEL!!! YSL!!!!!!!

 I have tried pretty much every mascara known to man, and I have to say that mascara, unlike foundation, really is something you can and SHOULD save on. This is one of those cases where more exspensive certainly does NOT equal better!

So, here are the top 3 (BTW, I have actually owned Diorshow, Lancome...well...everything, and Chanel. I am a mascara junkie and these 3 beat those high end brands hands down, no contest. Lashes and lips, right?)

1. Prestige "My Blackest Lashes"

Colors: It only comes in black

Price: Around $6-7

Where Can I Get It? You CAN get it at CVS or Rite Aid, but I get mine at Ulta because of the coupons and drugstores are always out of it.

The Scoop-  This mascara delivers long, thick, dark sexy fringe with very minimal clumping (if you do get some clumping, don't let it dry between coats and use a lighter hand). I get asked all the time if my lashes are real when I wear this mascara and it makes me giggle like a school girl. My lashes are med length, med thickness and straight as an arrow, and this mascara holds curl very well. Also, my very sensitive eyes (Diorshow was a joke. It felt like my eyes were stung by a swarm of wasps) were perfectly fine with this. Even after crying. No racoon eyes on my oily eyelids either. I wore it through an entire 6 month run of shows instead of false lashes and it looked great, even after being under those hot lights for two hours.  Could you ask for anything more?

Will I like this if...

I already have long, thick eyelashes? You might end up looking like a drag queen. But, in the best way. Also, stop bragging.

I have very sparse lashes? Probably not. You would probably like the next mascara I'm reviewing better as it is a bit more natural looking






2. Prestige "My LONGEST Lashes"

Colors: Black and Black Brown

Price: $6-7

Where Can I Get It? Same as above

The Scoop:
This mascara is like "My Blackest Lashes"'s little sister. To give you more of a visual, if "My Blackest Lashes" were Marilyn Monroe, then "My Longest Lashes" would be Audrey Hepburn; still there, still striking, but not so "in your face". When I wear this one, people assume I just have naturally beautiful, impossibly long lashes (nope) instead of asking if they are falsies, if that makes sense. Still no sensitive eye reaction. Definitaly a gorgeous mascara and was my favorite before "Blackest Lashes". It still is some days because I can wear it on "no makeup" days without any other eye makeup and still look pulled together. This mascara delivers loooong, medium full lashes and is great for redheads and blonds, as it comes in a dark brown shade. No raccon eyes. Holds curl very well. The only negative is it is a little difficult to remove, but a two step eye makeup remover takes care of it quickly. Actually, I found the L'Oreal "Hydrating" eye make up remover  (a cream in a light blue tube) and Clinique "Take the Day Off" work best.





3. L'Oreal Voluminous

Colors: Blackest Black, Carbon Black, Black Brown, Soft Black

Price: it varies but between $7-9

Where can I get it? Any drugstore, Target. WalMart or Ulta

The Scoop:
What can I say? It's a classic. Celebs love it, makeup artists love it, and I used to like it until I found the Prestige line. It's a pretty straightforward mascara. Negatives are that it flakes and doesn't hold curl. It's also serously the EXACT same formula as Lancome's Definicils mascara, so if you are a hardcore Lancome fan, you can save about $20 by just getting this one. The only thing is that Definicils has a bit more pigment and a lot more fragrance.

That's it! I hope you go out and try those mascaras, and if you get them from Rite Aid or Ulta and don't like them, they will take them back with a reciept, no problem. :)

Happy Shopping! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment