Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Revlon Color Stay: Is it really all that??

Hello, Beautiful Friends!!

It's time for another mostly unbiased review on a budget friendly beauty product, and this one is somewhat controversial.

Revlon Color Stay Foundation seems to be one of those products thats some swear by, and others detest. So, here are the facts, because let's face it, $13 when it's not BOGO is quite a chunk of change.

Here goes:

Revlon Color Stay Foundation with Softflex: The difference between the fomulas-

The normal to dry formula is not as matte, is a tiny tiny TINY bit shimmery, and honestly doesn't wear as long. However, it's not as opaque, so it looks more natural. It also has an SPF of 15. The bottle says it is moisturizing and balancing.

The combination to oily formula is far more matte, far more opaque (some say chalky even), wears a little bit longer and has a lower spf than the dry.

They are both oil-free.

Price: around 13 bucks, depending on where you get it and when.

The Scoop- This foundation has good points and bad points, frankly. The first good point is it does actually do a good job of staying on, even on oily skin. Notice I did NOT say it stays on as long as the bottle says.If you use the combo/oily formula,it will give you lots of coverage, too, but please use sparingly as it can tend to cake up. It also has a sort of retro "Mad Men" kind of look to it on the face, if you are in to that.

Now, the negatives. First of all, the colors do NOT match from the normal/dry formula to the combo/ oily formula, ie Buff in dry is way more pink than buff in oily. ( I could go on and on about drugstore foundations being way too pink, but i'll save that for another time) and the colors are sort of off for darker skin tones and, in my opinion, don't have a wide enough shade range. It doesn't cover acne scars well. Some don't like the perfumy scent, so if you have a sensitive nose, this one is not for you. Also, once it dries it takes on a strange grayish cast. Some girls say it breaks them out and I found that it made me look super made up, even when I was trying to look natural. I see that as a negative, but it's all a matter of perspective. Some girls love that. One last thought, it MUST be taken off with an oil based remover (like cold cream) and, even if it is no longer giving you coverage, it's still there! So, please never go to be with it on your face (I know, I know, but I had to say it.)

Does it photograph well? Nope. You will look like Casper in all flash photos.

Is it worth the savings? Sigh, I hate to say it ladies but...no, not really. It is an outdated formula and there are far better ones out there for the same price or slightly higher. Instead of being perfect for all types of skin, this foundie seems to be sort of OFF for all types of skin. I wouldn't waste your money on this one. It's just O.K.

I know I am going against all of Makeup Alley with this review, but I have to be totally honest. It isn't a BAD foundation, but our dollars are precious and better spent on something else.

Thanks for stopping by, Beauties and Happy Shopping!

Warmly,
Thrift Store Barbie

Next Time on Beauty and Brains: E.L.F Eyeshadows! Can I really get a good shadow for a dollar??

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I haven't tried this one, but I LOVE Maybelline colorstay lip color. The only thing I am now frustrated with is that I can't find the clear stuff to wear over it (so your lips stay moist) ANYWHERE!!!!! I hate when you like a product and then you can't find it. UGH I had to try several different products( to wear over the lip stain) that contain little to no oils. . finally found Avon's Lip Dew. . .and it's soooooo inexpensive. . .Yay. . . =)

    ReplyDelete